Optimized for purifying DNA (including genomic, mitochondrial and viral DNA) from buccal cells.
The OBK™ Buccal Swab gDNA Extraction Kit provides an efficient method for purifying DNA (including genomic, mitochondrial and viral DNA) from buccal cells. This DNA Extraction Kit uses Proteinase K and chaotropic salt to lyse cells and degrade protein, allowing DNA to bind to the glass fiber matrix of the spin column. Carrier RNA is included with the kit to improve the efficiency of DNA binding to the spin column membrane. Contaminants are removed using W1 Buffer and Wash Buffer (containing ethanol). The purified genomic DNA is eluted by a low salt Elution Buffer, TE or water. High quality genomic DNA can be purified in 20 minutes without phenol/chloroform extraction or alcohol precipitation, with an average DNA yield of 2 μg per buccal swab. Purified DNA, with approximately 20-30 kb, is suitable for use in PCR or other enzymatic reactions.
- S1 Buffer
- S2 Buffer
- Carrier RNA
- W1 Buffer
- Wash Buffer
- Elution Buffer (10 mM Tris-HCl, pH8.5 at 25°C)
- Proteinase K
- GD Columns
- Filter Columns
- 2 ml Collection Tubes
Features and Benefits
- Purify genomic DNA from buccal cell swabs in 20 minutes!
- High Yield: up to 2 μg of pure genomic DNA per buccal swab
- High Purity gDNA: A260/A280 = 1.8-2.0
- DNA Size: 20-30 kb
- Spin Columns: glass fiber membrane optimized for genomic DNA extraction
- Elution volume: 50-100 µl
- Storage: dry at room temperature (15-25°C) for up to 1 year
- Restriction Endonuclease Digestions
- Southern Blots and various other enzymatic reactions